Update: The spring course is full!
We will run this course again in the fall. If you would like to be notified of the next course offering, Please add your name here.
The Vermont Backyard Woods Course is designed for homeowners with less than 25 acres who want to learn more about the woods in their backyard: what’s in it, who (wildlife) uses it, and how they can become better caretakers of it.
The course explores the following themes: An Introduction to Your Backyard and Beyond; Getting to Know Your Woods; Backyard Woods Projects; Developing a Backyard Woods Action Plan.
About the Course
- This is an introductory course, designed to give landowners basic skills and connect them to resources available.
- The self-paced course is hosted online and is composed of 4 sections. Each section has videos and activities that are to be completed on your own schedule.
- Participants will be invited to join drop-in webinar sessions with experts. Times TBD.
- We will not be offering in-person walks during this session.
- Check out the Backyard Woods Program topics here.
Who should join this course?
- Homeowners who own 5-25 acres.
- Homeowners who want to become more active stewards of their land, but don't know where to start.
- Homeowners who want to learn general ecology in Vermont.
By the end of the program participants will:
- Understand why their backyard woods matter, the benefits it provides, and how it contributes to Vermont’s forest landscape.
- Identify natural history and cultural features in their backyard woods.
- Identify and rank stewardship goals and objectives for their property.
- Develop a stewardship action plan with a project schedule and plan for implementing stewardship activities.
- Increase awareness and connection to resources and organizations available to assist landowners in post-course activities.
May - June 2020
The VT UCF Program is offering the Backyard Woods Course free of charge for the months of May and June. We will be unable to provide an in-person walk, but you will be able to explore all the resources to become a better steward of your own backyard!
This is a self-paced course and you will have access to the content from May 1st to June 30th, 2020.
Drop-in webinar sessions with experts will be scheduled. Times TBD.
Take this opportunity to explore your woods with your family! Please designate one family member to register because we have limited licenses with our learning platform.
Questions? Contact Gwen at 802-651-8343, ext 506 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request a disability-related accommodation to participate in this program, please contact Gwen at email@example.com, 802-651-8343 or 1-800-571-0668, by April 30th, so we may assist you.
The Vermont Backyard Woods Program is a collaborative effort between UVM Extension, VT Department Forests, Parks and Recreation, Vermont Fish and Wildlife, Vermont Woodlands Association, VT Coverts, and VT Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS).